Overcoming the Sinus Infection Blues
If you’ve ever had a sinus infection, your not alone. Approximately 31 million Americans suffer from what is known as sinusitis. The symptoms associated with a sinus infection can make you feel terrible.
WHAT IS SINUSITIS?
Sinusitis is defined as inflammation or swelling of the tissue lining of the nasal passages and sinuses. This inflammation can prevent your sinuses from draining properly. Mucous and fluid build-up in the sinuses can lead to sinus infections, which means more inflammation and pain.
Below are some helpful tips so you don’t get the Sinus Infection Blues:
- Wash Your hands
- Limit touching your face and nose
- Eat healthy and a well balanced diet
- Apply a warm, moist washcloth to your face several times a day to help open the sinuses
- Drink plenty of fluids to thin the mucus
- Inhale steam two to four times per day (sit in the bathroom with the hot shower running)
- Use a nasal saline spray several times per day
- Get plenty of rest
- Nasal irrigation with lukewarm saline from a Neti Pot can help ease the nasal drainage
If your sinus blues are caused by allergies, consider the following steps:
- Avoid things that cause your allergies to flair up
- Try over the counter antihistamines and nasal decongestants if needed
- Talk to your ENT doctor about if nasal steroid spray is right for you
- Discuss allergy shots (immunotherapy) with your doctor to see if they’re right for you
Lastly, if you have chronic sinus problems, there are many minimally invasive treatment options that the ear, nose, and throat physicians at Lexington ENT at Totum Health can explain and provide. If you or a loved one suffer from acute or chronic sinus problems call 212-288-2222 to speak with one of our patient engagement professionals.