The spring allergy season has arrived and it’s already being called one of the worst allergy seasons ever. Heavy winter rain, colder than average temperatures and tree-pollen production coinciding with the onset of grass allergies diverge into what is being known as the “perfect storm of pollen” or “pollen tsunami”. Uncontrolled allergies can lead to headaches, fatigue, congestion and loss of sleep. Let us help you breathe easier, live healthier.
Follow these 5 simple steps to overcome spring allergies
- Spend time indoors – No one likes to stay inside on a nice day, however hot, dry days often mean high pollen counts. Close your windows and turn on your air conditioning. Just make sure you have a fresh air filter so you aren’t recirculating pollen around your home.
- Use a allergy filters – Allergies or not, if you don’t have air conditioning you have no alternative but to keep your windows open. Be sure to clean your window screens and look into purchasing allergy filters for your windows. Performing a quick search on Amazon or Google will lead you to various vendors offering easy to use spring allergy filters.
- Change your clothes – After spending time outdoors it is important to change your clothes immediately. Changing your clothes reduces spreading allergens around inside your home.
- Wash and Cover Bedding – During spring allergy season you should increase the frequency that you are washing your bedding. Be sure to soak and wash your bedding in hot water. It is also a good idea to purchase washable allergen proof covers for your pillow and mattress. Most retail stores stock these items in the pillow and bedding department.
- Keep Pets Clean – Your friendly dog or cat may be the root cause of your allergies. Judiciously wash your pets and their bedding to help control the amount of pet dander and environmental allergens they may be harbouring.
When to Schedule an Appointment
Spring Allergies affect the way we work, play and live. The symptoms associated with allergies are no fun and can make you miserable. If you have tried the above tips and none of them seem to alleviate your issues it may be time to schedule an appointment to see one of our physicians. You should schedule an appointment if you are suffering from any of the following symptoms:
- Runny or stuffy nose, cough, or watery eyes.
- Symptoms that make it difficult to sleep or focus at work.
- Over-the-counter drugs don’t help, or they’re causing side effects.
- Get help right away if you start wheezing, feel short of breath, or tight in the chest.
If you or a loved one are suffering from allergies this season, please call one of our patient coordinators at (212) 288-2222 to quickly schedule an appointment with one of our allergy focused physicians